Welcome to the October 2011 edition of the Literary Giveaway Blog Hop.
The hop is hosted by Judith of Leeswammes’ Blog. Over 50 blogs, between October 15th and October 19th, will participate in this giveaway bonanza. Judith stipulates that giveaway items should be bookish in nature (of course). Additionally, if one is offering a book, the book must have “some literary merit”. Links to other participating blogs are listed at the end of the post.
I’m giving away a mostly new copy of Distant View of A Minaret by the Egyptian author Alifa Rifaat. It’s a really good read. I’m yet to review it, but here are what others have to say about this book:
M. Lynx Qualey of Arabic Literature (in English): “Her (Rifaat) beautiful small stories, available in English translation in “Distant View of a Minaret,” have evoked mixed critical response. Some Western feminists have called Rifaat’s women characters passive, while in Egypt her books were controversial enough to be kept off shelves….One of Rifaat’s strongest advocates has been the great Nigerian author Chinua Achebe, who teaches “Distant View of a Minaret” to his students. He once told interviewer Gayle Feldman, “Each little story [of Rifaat’s] looks little to begin with until you really reflect.” (Source)
ImageNations: “Hers (Rifaat’s) is a collection that speaks to the marrow, with the capacity to freeze ones attention and open one’s eyes to life and how issues of women are neglected by culture and society. I would recommend Alifa’s collection unreservedly to anyone who wants to read from the perspectives of women in this region.”
- This is worldwide giveaway; I will ship to anywhere in the world.
- Anyone can enter.
- You only need a post-office recognized address.
- If you don’t already follow my blog, then please consider doing so. You can follow by email or by RSS (see buttons on the top right of the side bar).
- Please fill out the form at the bottom of these rules
- The giveaway will close on October 19th
- I will pick a winner by October 21st.
- Only one entry per person, please
- I will notify the winners by email. The winner has to answer my email within 3 days, or I’ll announce a new winner.
Good luck and thanks.
To enter, please fill out this form
(This giveaway is closed)
Hop over to the other blogs participating in the Literary Giveaway: