(Link Gems is a round-up of interesting articles and essays from around the web).
This is my first list of 2012. It’s more like a dump of links that I’ve been hoarding. Still, there are a number of interesting articles here.
- There are no happy writers: Novelist Jamaica Kincaid
- Ben Okri ‘disappointment’ at editor he claims re-wrote his work
- You Lazy (Intellectual) African Scum!
- Charles Dickens’s Inner Child
- 25 Things Writers Should Stop Doing Right Now
- Amazon’s Plagiarism Problem
- An end to bad heir days: The posthumous power of the literary estate
- An Uprising of Words
- Are you ashamed of skipping parts of books?
- Writing Adrift in the World (not how I view world literature, of course)
- Why Do People Buy Books They Don’t Read?
- The Story Behind the Story: An Appreciation of Authors’ Acknowledgments
- The Politics of Art: Middle Eastern Women in Fiction and Film
- The Messenger (Te-Nehesi Coates on Ron Paul)
- The Big Reasons Indie Authors Aren’t Taken Seriously
- A better foreign policy in literature
- My father is a motor car: Reuben Abati, GEJ, and the Addis Ababa fiasco By Pius Adesanmi
- Over 3 years later, “deleted” Facebook photos are still online
- The vagabond king (about former Sierra Leonean President Valentine Strasser)
- Cory Doctorow: It’s Time to Stop Talking About Copyright
- Is Google Making Us Stupid?
- Victorian Lagos and Modernity
- Book ends and new beginnings in (African) Publishing
- Soccer’s Heavy Boredom
- Cesarean Nation
- Everyone Is an Immigrant
- The gift of tongues