I do not have a good, easy and accessible system for archiving interesting articles that I find on blogs and other internet sites. So I’ve come up with Link Gems, a weekly round-up of articles and essays.
- Helon Habila, Chimamanda Adichie and Binyavanga Wainana discuss their literary heroes on The Africa Report. Habila wrote about Dambudzo Marechera, Adichie paid homage to Ama Ata Aidoo and Wainana talked about being inspired by Kojo Laing.
- In Thought Catalog, Charles Warnke presents his reasons why “You Should Date An Illiterate Girl“
- In the Financial Times, Adam Haslett, in “The Art of Good Writing” reviews How to Write a Sentence and How to Read One by Stanley Fish.
- In The Millions‘ essay, “The Pen, Mightier“, Nell Boeschenstein looks at our continuing fascination with penmanship.
- Frank Kovarik, also in The Millions, explores the relationship between Beloved and The Odyssey in “Her Story Next to His: Beloved and The Odyssey“
- Amelia Atlas in “In Criticism and the Anxiety of Authority” responds to the New York Times Book Reviews‘ panel discussion on Why Criticism Matters